EPA’s Proposed Cleanup Plan for the Duwamish River
READ COMMENT LETTERS SUBMITTED BY:
â€˘Â Duwamish River Cleanup Coalition/Technical Advisory Group (that’s us!)
â€˘Â Environmental community joint letter: w/Center for Environmental Law & Policy, Citizens for a Healthy Bay, Deschutes Estuary Restoration Team, Futurewise, Olympic Environmental Council, Orca Network, RE Sources for Sustainable Communities, Sierra Club of Washington State, Surfrider Foundation, Waste Action project, and others
DRCC/TAG Recommendations Summary:
- Remove all highly and moderately contaminated sediments from the river.
- Kick start the recovery of low-level contaminated sediments with a thin layer of clean material.
- Integrate and enforce pollution source control efforts in the final EPA cleanup order.
- Minimize the need for fishing advisories and ensure that efforts to prevent fishing are culturally-appropriate and don’t further harm people’s health.
- Establish a Pollution Prevention and Mitigation Fund until cleanup is complete and health standards are met.
- Hire local!
Researchers at the University of Washington School for Public Health, Just Health Action and DRCC/TAG conducted a Health Impact Assessment (HIA) of EPA’s Proposed Plan, which evaluates possible health effects of the plan and makes recommendations to maximize benefits, minimize harmful impacts, and promote health equity. See links to the HIA Report on our HIA project page!
What is â€śSuperfundâ€ť?
â€śSuperfundâ€ť is the common name for the federal Comprehensive Environmental Response, Cleanup and Liability Act (CERCLA), passed by Congress in 1980. The law requires that the nationâ€™s most toxic hazardous waste sites be identified and cleaned up. The lower Duwamish River was added to the national Superfund list â€“ also known as the National Priority List â€“ in 2001. The river has also been listed for cleanup by Washington State under the â€śstate superfundâ€ť or Model Toxics Control Act (MTCA). More general information about Superfund and MTCA can be found below: What is Superfund?Â (Wikipedia) US Environmental Protection Agency Superfund cleanup sites in Washington (EPA Region 10) Lower Duwamish Superfund site Washington State MTCAÂ